No Violence During 20th Babri Demolition Anniversary
Lucknow/ Hyderabad | Dec 06, 2012

The 20th anniversary of Babri Mosque demolition passed off peacefully on a sombre note in the twin towns of Ayodhya and Faizabad and the surrounding areas amidst tight security arrangements. The same was observed peacefully in Hyderabad.

While shops and business establishments owned by Muslims remained partially closed and main markets wore a deserted look it being a weekly off day in Faizabad, black flags were seen at some of the mosques.

Crowds came out in the areas where weekly local markets are organised in view of the ongoing marriage season.

Official sources said that life remained normal with both the communities observing the day in their own ways separately ,although security forces remained on high alert at all the sensitive points in the twin town.

While Muslim organisations observe the day as "black day" , Hindu outfits observe it as "shaurya diwas".

Hindu groups led by VHP organised recital of 'Hanuman Chalisa" at the Kar Sewakpuram in the morning to reiterate their resolve for the construction of Ram Temple at the disputed site.

Force in large numbers were deployed at all the crossings to maintain round the clock vigil on the situation which was reported to be peaceful, district administration said.

Petitioner in the Babri Mosque demolition case, Hashim Ansari when contacted said that there is no animosity between the two communities.

"Politics is still being played in the name of Babri mosque case but the communities and the people want peace," Ansari said, adding that he had full faith in the judicial process and the matter now rests in the hands of the court.

In Lucknow, several Muslim organisations held a protest demonstration before the Vidhan Sabha demanding rebuilding of the mosque and punishment to those guilty of demolition.

Mahant Bhaskar Das of Nirmohi Akhara while talking to reporters here said, "the lower court took so much time, nobody can say what time will be taken by Supreme Court for the final judgement".

"I am fed up of this issue and I don't want to talk even," was the reply of Mohammad Hashim Ansari when asked to comment regarding the issue.

Several commercial establishments at various localities in Old City remained closed due to the bandh called by some Muslim organisations while roads wore a deserted look in the wake of prohibitory orders in place in Hyderabad for three days starting yesterday.

Under the prohibitory orders, issued under section 144 of CrPc, public meetings, dharnas and rallies are banned for three days.

Security was stepped up in the city with Andhra Pradesh Special Police (APSP) and RAF personnel maintaining a strict vigil at historic Charminar and other sensitive areas in Old City that had witnessed a communal flare-up last month.

Commissioner of Police Anurag Sharma said no untoward incident was reported from any part of the city and the situation remained normal.

Charminar remained out of bounds for tourists today, and will continue to be so tomorrow as well, as officials banned the entry to the historic monument as a precautionary measure.