A major fire broke out at a godown in a industrial layout on the outskirts of the city in the early hours. There were no casualties, but it destroyed dry chillies, gram and coriander seeds stored in huge quantities in the godown, police said.
The fire was stated to have been triggered by short circuit, police said. The pungent odour of chillies was felt as far as a kilometre away.
Firemen battled the blaze for several hours before dousing it, they said.
A similar major fire had broken out in another godown here in June last, causing loss of crores of rupees.
© Copyright PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of any PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without their prior written consent.