British police is treating the attack on Lt Gen (retd) K S Brar, the Operation Bluestar hero, as a case of an attempted murder, a spokesman said today, adding the four assailants were of Asian origin.
The spokesperson of the London Metropolitan police also said that all the four persons who were involved in the attack in central London on Sunday night had long beards. No arrests in the attack have been made yet.
The Police while saying it was treating the attack as an attempted murder is also mulling whether or not to issue photo sketches of the assailants who were described to be of Asian origin.
The spokesperson denied that the police had ever commented on one of the attackers leaving behind a mobile phone at the scene of the attack as it was claimed earlier.
According to Brar, a mobile phone had been recovered from the scene, which may help lead the police to the assailants.
He said the inquiry is continuing and the police has appealed to the public for assistance.
Brar, who received injuries during the attack, returned to Mumbai along with his wife Meena today.
Brar, 78, has said that he is convinced it was an attempt to assassinate him by "pro-Khalistan elements" for his role in the 1984 "Operation Bluestar" that was aimed at flushing out Sikh militants led by Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale from the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
After the attack, Brar said he had informed local army authorities in Mumbai about his private visit to London, but the Indian High Commission here said it was unaware of his trip.
© Copyright PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of any PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without their prior written consent.