UN-Arab League joint envoy Kofi Annan has said he has been informed by Bashar Al-Assad led Syrian government that it will "cease all military fighting" throughout its territory by April 12.
Annan received a letter from the Syrian Minister of Foreign Affairs informing him of the decision of the government "to cease all military fighting throughout Syrian territory as of 6 a.M. (Damascus time) tomorrow, Thursday, 12 April 2012," a statement issued here said.
It, however, added that the Syrian government reserves the right to "respond proportionately to any attacks carried out by armed terrorist groups against civilians, government forces or public and private property."
The statement said Annan will continue to work with the Syrian government and the opposition to ensure the comprehensive implementation of his six-point plan, which seeks to put an end to the year long violence in the country which has killed over 9000 people.
Last week, the Syrian Government had told Annan that it would cease use of heavy weapons and complete the withdrawal of troops from population centres by April 10.
The former UN chief had said once the government forces fulfill their commitment, all parties, including the opposition, should move immediately to cease all forms of violence so that a complete cessation is in place by 0600 hours Damascus time on April 12.
© Copyright PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of any PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without their prior written consent.